Kilkeel Presbyterian Church, Kilkeel, County Down – Origin:
In 1822 there were no Presbyterian Churches in Rostrevor, Annalong or Newcastle. The only Presbyterian Church in the area was Mourne P.C. Their nearest neighbors were at Narrow Water (Warrenpoint) and Castlewellan. The Markethill Presbytery reported in that year that they had been making attempts to set up another Presbyterian church in Kilkeel but, for a number of reasons, it had failed to materialize. However, Kilkeel Presbyterian Church was then initially formed in 1822 as a Seceder church but was initially unable to secure the services of a minister.
Eventually, on 21st August 1827 Rev John Allen became the first minister. The congregation had no place to meet except a small and inconvenient room. Rev Allen hired a large house which served to accommodate both his family and the new congregation. The apartment where the church met could hold 150/200 people.