First Presbyterian Church, Spartanburg – Origin:
On Sunday, April 30, 1843, eight Presbyterians gathered at the home of James Kelso Means on the south side of Main Street about midway in the block bounded by Union and Liberty Streets.
In 1843, Spartanburg was a little village in the woods called Spartanburg Court House and had no Presbyterian church. The founding Elders came from the congregation of Nazareth Presbyterian Church, one of the oldest Presbyterian congregations in South Carolina.
After signing a covenant binding them together as one church, they adjourned to the Baptist Church for preaching and a celebration of the Lord’s Supper.
On November 1, 1843, the congregation purchased a lot for $300 from Richard Thomson in the block bounded by North Liberty and Converse Streets.
The first church building was completed in 1845 at a cost of $1820.
8:45 AM ET (EST: 1:45 PM GMT / EDT: 12:45 PM GMT)
11:00 AM ET (EST: 4:00 PM GMT / EDT: 3:00 PM GMT)