First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, Orlando – Origin:
First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, Orlando has been a staple of downtown Orlando for over 135 years. Surviving fires, hurricanes and the changing winds of time, First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, Orlando continues to grow and serve the surrounding community.
When the country’s 100th birthday was celebrated in faraway Philadelphia, Central Florida was still pioneer country, populated by a handful of hardy farmers and citrus growers. Orlando, however, was already incorporated as a town. The year was 1876.
On March 18 of that same centennial year, 11 dedicated adults and their children, under the leadership of the Reverend Mr. W. B. Telford and the Reverend Mr. William H. Dodge, banded together to form the First Presbyterian Church of Orlando, Orlando. At first, the new church met at the home of Professor and Mrs. Benjamin Gould, founding members. Later, the congregation used the Free Church building on Main Street, now known as Magnolia Avenue.
8:15 AM ET (EST: 1:15 PM GMT / EDT: 12:15 PM GMT)
9:45 AM ET (EST: 2:45 PM GMT / EDT: 1:45 PM GMT)
11:00 AM ET (EST: 4:00 PM GMT / EDT: 3:00 PM GMT)