Posted in: Coming Soon...
Abyssinian Baptist Church, New York – Origin:
In 1808, a group of African Americans (12 women and 4 men) who refused to accept segregated seating in the First Baptist Church of New York City formed The Abyssinian Baptist Church in lower Manhattan. The church name was inspired by the ancient name of Ethiopia, Abyssinia.
Reverend Thomas Paul, an African American minister from Boston, aided the new congregation in becoming organized as the first African-American Baptist church in New York state and in purchasing its first church home. The Rev. John VanVessler became Abyssinian’s first pastor.
Abyssinian Baptist Church, New York bought property at 40 Worth Street and was located there until 1854. After the property was sold, Abyssinian Baptist Church, New York moved to Broadway Tabernacle, then to buildings on Thompson and Spring Streets.
- Sweet Home Missionary Baptist Church (Sweet Home MBC), Miami, Florida (FL), USA
- New Life Assembly of God (NLAG) Church, Chennai, India [#NewLifeChurch #AssemblyOfGod #NLAGChurch #ChennaiChurch #IndiaChurch]
- Center Grove Baptist Church, Clemmons, North Carolina (NC), USA
- Ridegways Baptist Church, Nairobi, Kenya
- Lancaster Baptist Church, Lancaster, California (CA), USA
- Saylorville Church, Des Moines, Iowa (IA), USA
- Water of Life Community Church, Multiple Locations, California (CA), USA
- Quail Springs Baptist Church, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (OK), USA
- Atlanta Tamil Church, Norcross, Georgia (GA), USA
- Worth Baptist Church, Forth Worth, Texas (TX), USA
Tagged: abyssinia, abyssinian, accept, african, aided, american, ancient, baptist, became, becoming, boston, broadway, buildings, church, city, congregation, ethiopia, formed, group, home, inspired, john, located, lower, manhattan, minister, moved, name, organized, pastor, paul, property, purchasing, refused, rev, reverend, seating, segregated, sold, spring, state, street, tabernacle, thomas, thompson, until, vanvessler, women, worth, york
Like this? Leave your thoughts below...