National Presbyterian Church – Origin:
The National Presbyterian Church has evolved through four congregations since its early beginnings in 1795. The church’s rich heritage reflects the contributions Presbyterians have made to our city and the nation for the past 200 years. According to church publications, most of America’s presidents have attended services at National Presbyterian or its predecessor congregations.

The tradition of National Presbyterian Church of faith goes back to the early years of the White House’s construction when the stone masons held worship services on the grounds of the Executive Mansion.

By 1795, the group had grown large enough to form St. Andrew’s Church. After the resignation of its pastor in 1802, a small group persisted, meeting at several places between 1802-1811.

Members from the St. Andrew’s group officially established First Presbyterian Church in 1812. The church was located where the U.S. House of Representatives stands today.

By 1821, the church had 114 members and continued to grow.

In 1853, Rev. Byron Sunderland began a 45-year tenure as senior pastor. Sunderland is most notable for beginning to preach in favor of the abolition of slavery- which was a courageous act in a city that was essentially a conservative Southern town.

In 1866, Rev. Sunderland allowed Frederick Douglass to speak from the church’s pulpit when no other church in Washington would do so.

In the early 20th century, commericial development began to lead to the dispersement of the members of First Presbyterian.

Meanwhile, this same urban growth gave rise to many other Presbyterian congregations. With 53 charter members, Covenant Presbyterian Church was organized in 1885, flourishing with strong lay leadership and pastors.

By 1928, membership had grown to 1,800 and the pastor at the time, Rev. Charles Wood, became the first president of the Washington Federation of Churches.

Numerous proposals for a national church had been presented to the General Assembly throughout the 19th century.

In 1930, the Church of the Covenant was selected to “furnish the congregational nucleus about which this National Church should be organized.” It was considered that the now-demolished First Presbyterian Church should move across the city and merge with Covenant in June 1930. Covenant-First Presbyterian Church was publicly declared “The National Presbyterian Church” in October 1947.

The cornerstone of the present day National Presbyterian Church was laid by former President Eisenhower on October 14,1967. The congregation first worshipped in its new home on September 7,1969.

The year 1969 also marked the opening of the National Presbyterian School, a private institution that has grown to serve preschool through sixth grade.

National Presbyterian Church – Mission:
To lead people to become faithful followers of Jesus Christ together in God’s world

Bethel AG Church, Bangalore – Origin:
In March 1960, Rev. John Cherian, at that time, a faculty member of Southern Asia Bible College (SABC), with the company of a few college students, initiated a ‘prayer fellowship’ in Ganganahalli, Bangalore. That place was not far from the present Assembly of God Church in Ganganagar, Bangalore. Prayer meetings were held by this small group every week. Eventually a plot was purchased for the construction of a building for church in future at Ganganagar. It was Rev. John C. Wright, AG Missionary and Bursar of SABC who purchased this piece of land for the Church.

The first major event of evangelism, after purchase of the plot, was a conference which was held under a canopy in the summer of 1962. Rev. O.V.Dillingham, former Pastor of First Assembly Church, Bangalore, and Mr. Divakar, the Circle Inspector of Police for the City of Mysore, were the important speakers along with many others. Many new believers were added to the original nucleus of the emerging ‘Assembly of God Church’ at Ganganagar during this conference.

After some time, Bro. T.P. Varghese involved himself in the activities of this Church, and it was during that period of ministry that Bro. M.A.Varughese, the present Pastor, entered the ministry. Bangalore was not alien to Bro. Varughese who had often visited this city and stayed here on many occasions since January 1966. However, it was only in February 1981 that he and his family (wife and two sons) called Bangalore their home. He was an employee of the Indian Air force (IAF) at that time, patiently and prayerfully waiting for God’s time and plan.

Gold Canyon United Methodist Church, Gold Canyon – Mission:
To grow disciples of Jesus Christ by studying the living the Word

Gold Canyon United Methodist Church, Gold Canyon – Origin:
The community of faith known as Gold Canyon United Methodist Church, Gold Canyon traces its origins from the Fall of 1987. At that time, Rev. Jim Woods, an associate minister at Velda Rose United Methodist Church began conducting worship services in homes within the community.

A year later, in the fall of 1988, an agreement was reached to hold services in the Gold Canyon Elementary School.

In early 1989, the fellowship was formally chartered and began holding worship services in the school.

On July 1, 1989, Rev. Woods was appointed the first full-time minister to the emerging congregation.

These early times were lean ones for the budding congregation. Attendance at services was sometimes numbered in single digits, and growth was slow and spotty.

In 1993, Rev. David McPherson replaced Rev. Woods. At about that time, the congregation suddenly began to grow. It soon became necessary to have two services on Sunday, and participation in church activities burgeoned. The leadership began to envision Gold Canyon United Methodist Church, Gold Canyon having it’s own building. They started raising money, searching for land on which to build, and consulting with architects on building design.

The experts said it couldn’t be done. “The community is too small and is not wealthy enough to build a new church,” they said. How wrong they were! The money was raised, the land bought, and the new church opened it’s doors to the first worship service on January 12, 1997.

On that Sunday and for several following, the front page of the Worship Bulletin proudly proclaimed, “No longer meeting at the Gold Canyon Elementary School.” Someone has said, “If we build it, they will come.” And come they did.

On the second Sunday that services were held in the new building, January 19, 1997, it was necessary to schedule two services to accommodate the worshippers. Continuing to look to the future, on March 9, 1997, the Charge Conference voted to raise the money needed to purchase additional land to make room for expansion.

Rev. Fred Steinberg succeeded Rev. McPherson in July of 1997 and continued to lead the congregation of Gold Canyon United Methodist Church, Gold Canyon to greater things. Due to continued growth Gold Canyon United Methodist Church, Gold Canyon built a new 1,300 seat Sanctuary building in 2007.

Gold Canyon United Methodist Church, Gold Canyon currently holds four worship services on Sundays. Summer worship attendance usually runs about 450 with winter worship attendance frequently exceeding 2,000.